Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Welcome Austin Joseph Brown!

Sooo sorry this is over a week late...aggh life with a newborn is never dull!  Ok so this post will strictly be Little Mans arrival to the world and a few pics, hope you enjoy :)

The Birth of Austin Brown:


So like a timely little guy my contractions started on my due date July 20th around 9pm.  They kept getting stronger and after timing for about 1.5hrs I decided to call the Dr on call to see what my plan of action should be.  I wanted to stay home as long as possible, but wanted to be prepared.  Surprise the Dr on call was the one I had seen just the day before! She told me to wait it out until I couldn't stand the pain any longer then come in, so to bed we went.  Around 2am I woke up to pee and realized that I was no longer peeing but was still leaking fluid, holy crap! my water broke!.  I was so excited because I never in a million years thought it would happen that way.  I woke up Kyle and we got packed up and headed to the hospital.  I called the Dr back and she had them waiting for me at the hospital.  Got to Rex around 2:30am and checked into triage.  My contractions were getting stronger but nothing I couldnt handle.  The worst part was having fluid leaking constantly and even more every time a contraction hit. 

Once out of triage I got my room and got set up with my heplock/iv and blood pressure. I was put on monitoring for 15 min each hour and let me tell you that 15 min in bed was excruciating.  I had every intention of going natural and was doing great standing up, rocking my hips and concentrating on my breathing while Kyle rubbed my back (I had front and back labor).  Well the pain got intense fast and my contractions were coming on top of each other and also peaking 2-3 times before going down.  I was convinced I was at transition (7cm) so when I had the nurse check and she said 4cm I gave up on my plan of a natural childbirth and got the epidural.  Let me tell you, best decision of my life.  They kept it on a low dose so I could fee the contractions but it was just intense pressure & a lot less pain.  Quickly I realized I was feeling a lot of pressure down low and after finally getting my current nurse to check around 11:30am (I think lol) she said I was 10cm (my fear of the epi prolonging labor was the opposite, it actually sped it up!) and ready to push!

She looked at me and immediately said ok this can take 2-3 pushes or 2-3 hours, I was jokingly saying well lets hope its the first!  Um no.  I pushed for 2.5 hours before Austin made his arrival.  Once the Dr came in and the pushing got real I pulled every ounce of energy left in my body to get him out (this was after the threat of vacuum extraction or worse a c-sec, which I was not going to let happen!).  At 3:15pm on Saturday July 21st, 2012 he made his arrival at a whopping 6lbs, 6oz and 21.5 inches long, perfect except a large bruise on his head where he was stuck in my birth canal.

He was immediately placed on my chest and we had skin to skin, we also attempted breastfeeding but that didn't go well.  Needless to say we are still working on it, but its getting better since my milk came in.

A week has gone by and Kyle is back at work, but every day I see the changes in him and the love I have for him grows.  I still cannot believe I am a mommy and still getting adjusted but excited for the next 5 weeks at home with my little man!

Presenting, Mr Austin Joseph Brown :

After birth : about to get his first bath!

1 week old :)

Thanks for reading, hopefully as time goes on and we get this schedule thing down I can get back to crafts/cupcakes!

~Nicole~



No comments:

Post a Comment